Queenstown Lakes District Libraries and Central Otago District Libraries are linked in a joint venture - library membership gives you access to all 15 branches in the Central Otago/Queenstown Lakes library district. Contact your local branch for more information.
Loans and Charges
Read our Loans and Charges Policy for all info on loan fees, fines and our service charges.
As a library member you can:
- Borrow books, magazines, DVDs, videos, audio books, sound recordings, CD-ROMs and more…
- Borrow up to 20 items*
- Renew items at any branch, by phone or online (via My Account & Renew)
- Reserve (hold) items from any branch for a $1 fee
- Return items to any branch
- Borrow books from libraries outside our district
*Temporary members have a lower loan limit
We can offer Wifi and use of desktop computers in many locations, as well as printing and photocopying.
As a library member you have access to:
- Online research databases
- The Internet to do research* for 30 minutes free of charge. Normal computer use charges apply thereafter
- National and international magazines and newspapers
- Local and regional information sources
- Reference resources e.g. encyclopedias, statistics, government publications
- A range of specialist collections in individual libraries e.g. Soper collection of bird books in Arrowtown, Local history collections in Wanaka, Queenstown and Alexandra
- Reference assistance from your librarian
* Research does not include: email, banking transactions, accommodation/travel reservations, personal business activities, or anything that cannot be considered academic research, study or fact-finding information that would normally be available in a library book.
Check out the Kids and Teens section.
Children's services vary from library to library in the district – phone your local library for details. We provide:
- A safe and welcoming environment
- Weekly toddler storytime in many branches
- School holiday programmes in most branches
- Access to Any Questions online homework help
Phone or ask your local library if you are housebound and would like to have resources delivered.
Our Mission Statement
The mission of the Central Otago / Queenstown Lakes Libraries is to provide the highest quality library services to fulfill the informational, educational, recreational and cultural needs of the community.
It is to provide a co-operative system of services for the diverse community of libraries in the Central Otago and Queenstown Lakes Districts; to facilitate the sharing of resources among libraries for the benefit of all; and to develop library services beyond the scope of the individual member libraries.
What We Have To Offer
The libraries provide information, which is accurate, delivered quickly, appropriate to the users' needs and drawn from the broad range of available sources. We place special emphasis on local and regional information sources.
We have a special responsibility to the children of the district. Our libraries provide a safe and welcoming environment for children. In every location we aim to supplement the pre school and formal education processes to promote and foster in children a love of reading and books.
We are a principal provider of materials to supplement programmes of formal education, including schools and home schooling.
We are committed to providing services and materials to encourage life long learning and self directed education. We aim to provide enjoyable experiences and resources that meet patrons' recreational reading needs.
Our libraries respond to the changing needs of this dynamic community by providing library services which are appropriately located, accessible at convenient times, and in an environment which is safe and welcoming for all ages. An accurate reference service is provided, while library materials are relevant and reflect the diverse interests and needs of the community.