Join The Library
Who may join?
Central Otago / Queenstown Lakes Libraries are partially funded by ratepayers. Library membership is free for ratepayers of the Central Otago or Queenstown Lakes districts.
Permanent residents may also join for free, by providing proof through a long term contract, such as a permanent employment contract or yearlong rental contract or lease. Temporary membership is also available.
Reciprocal membership is available to visitors who will be in the area for 1 month or less and who are members of another New Zealand library.
After joining you receive a library card that is valid across all 14 libraries in the Central Otago and Queenstown Lakes districts.
How to join
It’s easy to become a member. There are a few ways to do this:
- Complete our Online Form
- Fill out a printed membership form when you next visit the library.
- Click here to download a membership form. You are welcome to print this form and complete it before you arrive at the Library.
You need to provide us with two forms of identification:
- Signed photo identification: e.g. driver's licence or passport (not required for a child membership); and also
- Verification of address, e.g. a property rates notice, contract for permanent employment or rental contract or lease, or something with your name and address on it such as a bank statement, or phone account
We also require details of an alternative contact person: e.g. someone who knows you but does not live at your address. This is so we can keep in touch with you should you move.
If you are under the age of 18, please supply the contact name and details of a Guarantor (your guarantor must be a Central Otago or Queenstown Lakes Library member).
How many items can I borrow?
This depends on the type of membership you have.
- Permanent membership: 20 items
- Temporary membership: 4 items
- Reciprocal membership:10 items